Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

The Berkshires

Man dies in Glenmont fire

  • Text size: + -
Albany/HV: Man dies in Glenmont fire
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A man has died following a late night fire in Glenmont. Officials say it was 61-year-old Brad Woodworth. Our Megan Cruz has the story.

GLENMONT, N.Y. -- "Nobody should ever have to die like that," said Lorra Woodworth. She and her husband, Brett, were beside themselves as they arrive at 173 Glenmont Road. Brett's brother, Brad Woodworth, died following a Wednesday night fire at his home.

"Two brothers in three years," said Brett. His youngest brother died of pneumonia in 2010, now Brad.

Officials say the fire broke out around 10:15 p.m. Wednesday. Firefighters found Brad in the bathroom and pulled him from the home.

"He was unconscious when we found him coming out of the structure. I checked back with EMS a short time afterwards - they were still working on him," said Selkirk Fire Chief Bill Aspirion.

Brad was brought to a hospital, where he later died.

"He would do anything for you," said Lorra.

Carol Stenger lives down the road. She said Brad was a fixture in the community.

"At a time I think when people don't necessarily know their neighbors, everyone knows Woody and Woody knows everyone by their first name and he knows something about them," said Stenger.

Brad leaves behind a wife and daughter. Both were not home at the time of the fire. However one of his pets, a dog, was killed.

Brett says he has to find Brad's other pets: another dog and a cat. Brad would've wanted him to.

"It's very hard for Brett and the rest of the family," said Lorra.

"I love him. That's all I can say," said Brett.

Chief Aspirion says while it is still early on in the investigation, he is pretty confident the fire started in the kitchen. Whether there was something on the stove or it was an electrical issue, they're still trying to figure that out.

The chief says fire investigators will be on the scene throughout the day.

10.11.12.245 ClientIP: 54.82.41.206, 23.15.7.125 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP