NEWBURGH, N.Y. -- A short circuit in underground wiring is being blamed for several manhole explosions Sunday in Newburgh. That's according to a spokesperson for Central Hudson.
The explosions forced many residents and businesses to evacuate the area. It happened Sunday afternoon along Broadway and some of the adjacent streets.
Nine buildings lost power as part of the explosion, and windows in one building were shattered. Central Hudson and local fire departments both responded to the scene. The mayor says the evacuations were taken as a precaution to keep residents safe.
"We're now evacuated this entire area. We are trying to keep people out. Nobody's hurt. We have had a couple of explosions. It isn't necessarily gas explosions, it's vapors that have been down in the trenches," said Mayor Judy Kennedy.
Residents were allowed back into their homes Sunday afternoon and power was fully restored.